Friday, May 20, 2022

touch April 2022 PAD Challenge 16-2

 Burnt Ankles

(A Zymurgy)

 

Slathered in sunblock, I thought I was protected.

P rotected, it was dumb of me to think so,

R emembering how I waded in the

O cean. Sis and I

T ook a long wading in the waves,

E nding siting comfortably in lawn

C hairs with the sun warm and

T oasty beating on my

E xposed ankles. I

D idn’t realize the danger they were in.

 

In time, I felt the painful burn.

B listers. I hid them

U nder the beach towel for the

R est of our time in Florida

N ow, they’re like two lizards.

 

Lizards, rough-skinned lizards.

L ike the little ones

I saw on our porch that

Z ipped away when we

A pproached. My ankles are no longer

R ed like someone with poor circulation.

D ry and flaky, the

S kin peels.

No comments: