Monday, September 24, 2018

Poetic Asides dream


A Memorable Dream

Usually dreams wisp away
before I’m fully awake,
but this dream has stuck
with me for weeks.

I dreamed my son
was still little, about five,
rather than the large 33-
year-old he is today.

He wanted a cake
to look like a grasshopper,
(don’t ask me why)
so I made him one.

Then he wanted
a grasshopper costume
so I put one together
and got an idea.

I knew of a weather balloon
that didn’t go high
but bounced up and down
kind of like a grasshopper.

So I took my son
where they were giving rides,
but the ballooned whipped
off into the wind above trees.

I about abandoned the idea,
when the wind calmed down
and an adult climbed aboard
to make sure it was safe.

Then a mom and little daughter
took a ride so, I decided we’d go,
but by the time my son and I
took our turn, the balloon lost air.

A man who I used to be close to
helped us into the chair. I asked
him if he wanted to come, but he
said there’d be too much weight.

It didn’t go very high, but enough
to see a great volcanic forest fire
heading our way, so we cried
out warnings and everyone ran.

Where we ran it was cold
so people started passing
out coats and it didn’t
matter who they belonged to.

But a friend who passed them out
recognized mine and gave it to me.
We dashed off until I wondered
if we were still in danger.

So my son and I climbed large steps
and could see the fire had died out.
So everyone stopped running.
And that was my dream.

Don’t know what the takeaway is.
Never try to act like a grasshopper?
Or maybe don’t eat chocolate candy
before going to bed for the night.

No comments: