Saturday, August 28, 2021

Poetic Bloomings Borrowed line

 Thanking Unseen Peepers for Evening Frogsong

 

How many times,

racing barefoot past the goose pond,

did I hear those tiny frogs singing their songs

for all they were worth?

 

It was a sound of my childhood.

A delightful song

Steady and constant

A sound I was thankful for.

 

It wasn’t until I was an adult

I heard the full story.

To my surprise those peepfrogs

hadn’t always been there.

 

When my aunt and uncle

were about to be married

they bought that bit of land

from my grandfather.

 

My uncle noted there were no peepfrogs

like he used to hear where he grew up.

So the young lovers

sloshed in a muddy pond by his home.

 

They laughed together while catching

enough peepfrogs

to begin the peepfrog population

on their land.

 

The story taught me

to appreciate

the efforts of the people

who have gone before me.

 

(Title is line from Pat Anthony’s “The Well” June 7, 2020)

No comments: