Saturday, July 30, 2022

Meant to Be Poetic Bloomings

 Rearview


In high school, 

teachers and friends

insisted I go to college, 

but I had no idea

what I wanted to do. 


An interest test revealed

I should be a physical therapist. 

I did my first year of college, 

but I actually had no idea 

what physical therapists did. 


I quit after the first year

and spent another year 

at a job I hated 

working at McDonald’s 

to pay off the college loan.


Then I went through a series

of unfun low-paying jobs, 

got married and raised kids,

and then hosted four people 

with developmental disabilities. 


Hubby had two strokes

and I saw firsthand 

the amazing things 

physical therapists did. 

And I thought, 


I should have been 

a physical therapist. 

But on the other hand,

I probably wouldn’t have

become a writer. 

No comments: