Tuesday, June 18, 2024

Persona PAD 26-3

 Loren

 

My wife, Connie, and I eat meals together three times a day, but mostly in silence. I can’t talk when I’m eating or I’ll choke. I listen to her talk about her day. As she tells me her long list of things to do, I wish I could help her. I used to do about half of the things she has on her list these past six and a half years. I do what I can from my wheelchair. I spend a lot of time keeping track of finances down to the finest minutia. I make phone calls and order medicine, make appointments and figure out health insurance. But sometimes it gets frustrating due to my garbled speech. It takes effort to speak clearly and I’m exhausted after a phone call. I get exercise shuffling with my walker to the bathroom, the living room, the kitchen, the sun room and out on the back porch when it’s nice. I like to sit in the sun. I go to church on Sundays. That’s my outing for the week. It’s hard to watch my wife fling the fifty-pound motorized chair in the hatchback with an umph. This situation gets depressing, but I know if I fall into a pity party, I’ll make things worse. I take it a day at a time, pray, and get the most joy I can out of life as is and be thankful for the wonderful things I do have, like the Lord, my wife, and the ability to think.

 

Almost seven years

Two pontine strokes (at brain stem)

Making best of it

No comments: