Sunday, September 19, 2021

Poetic Asides Back to Blank

Back to Your Feet

 

I see your dusty feet

that walked miles

in crude sandals

to tell people what God

and His kingdom is like.

 

I see Your knees which knelt

as You told the Father,

“Not my will but Yours be done”

before You gave Your life

to pay for sins of humankind.

 

I put my hands

in Your scarred ones,

which healed the sick,

raised the dead

and made a whip

to drive out greed.

 

I put my fingers in your side

where the sword was thrust

and out came water and blood

from Your broken heart.

 

I lean against your chest

like John did,

asking who would betray You.

 

I look to your mouth,

which spoke words of love,

but also words that pierced

like a sword.

 

I gaze into Your eyes.

of compassion

that looked upon

an adulterous woman

and forgave her.

Eyes that stared at Peter

after the rooster crowed,

saying I knew you’d betray  me

but hang in there

the best is yet to come.

 

But I always

come back to your feet,

washing them with fragrant perfume

and drying them with my hair.


No comments: