Wednesday, February 2, 2022

Yesterday, Poetic Asides

 As I Went Walking

 

I went walking

in the cemetery

where my parents rest

in Pennsylvania

where I grew up.

 

I came across

a double head stone.

One was a man

I didn’t know

who had died that year.

 

Next to it

his beloved wife,

with the end date missing.

Anticipating,

being with her husband.

 

She was still living.

One of my school friends.

It gave me an odd feeling.

as if staring

at my own grave.

 

It doesn’t take long

for todays

to turn into yesterdays

and yesterdays to add up

until there are no tomorrows.

 

Someone once said

on a grave stone

you have a beginning date

and an end date

and between them a dash.

 

What happens in the dash

is what matters.

And what happened

many yesterdays ago

leaving an empty tomb.

 

No comments: