Wednesday, October 19, 2022

Immediate poem

 A Poem Perhaps

 

At a friend’s house,

ready to spend the night,

staying with a young man with autism.

 

The house is quiet,

except the ringing in my ears

and the soft tap of my laptop keys.

 

They just moved in recently.

Everything is in order

or it’s not.

 

She didn’t leave a schedule.

I have to remember from last year

or wing it.

 

She didn’t leave the wifi password,

so I’ll type away and see

if anything comes of this poem.

 

Sometimes just messing around

with words like this

will surprise you.

 

He just went to the bathroom

and back to his room.

Mustn’t be too hungry yet.

 

I might get hungry before him

and I didn’t bring anything.

I usually don’t eat anything that's theirs.

 

But today I might make an exception.

My tossed salad supper may not carry me

through the evening.

 

I may watch some TV

if I can figure out how

to turn the thing on.

 

Or maybe the Lord says,

Now that I got your attention,

read My Word and hear!

 

 

 

No comments: