Friday, December 16, 2022

Ekphrastic PAD 13-2

 Christmas Ornament Souvenir

 

Mary and Joseph,

handmade of woven jute,

kneel down

holding baby Jesus,

their featureless faces formed

of knots of brown string,

 

Mary wears a dull white robe

and Joseph’s garment,

appears a little more decorative

in a woven pattern of rust, browns and golds.

 

Joseph’s long jute arm hugs Mary

while his other hand holds a wire shepherd’s staff.

A white wire star stands above them.

They’re mounted on a round piece of wood.

 

I liked this creative Christmas ornament

in an artist’s shop in Kenya,

but the more I look at it the more I like it.

Most representations of them

don’t show them kneeling like this does.

 

This piece will not only remind me

of my trip to Kenya

but also of a precious couple

and their even more precious Son.

 

No comments: