Tuesday, August 11, 2026

From Scotland to England

 

June 23, 2026

Lakes, Ducks and Getting Lost

 

We left the town of Oban

and stopped at Gretna Green,

 

Years ago, young people in England,

instead of getting permission

from their parents as was the law,

eloped across the border in Scotland

where the legal age was sixteen.

 

Still today, people get married in Gretna Green,

and statues around commemorate romantic love.

 

We settled in a hotel in Keswick England

 then walked through the town to the lake.

 

Gathered on the ground-brown beach and brick walk,

flocked greedy ducks and geese awaiting handouts

from friendly Lake District tourists.

 

The evening sun rays and a bit of blue sky

peeked through billowy gray and white clouds.

The hungry birds squawked and quacked.

 

I stared wistfully at the little rowboats,

but I was outvoted. Maybe next time.

 

On the way back, my travel friend and I shopped

and got lost until an English gentleman

stopped his hedge trimming and gave us directions.

 

Later we walked a country path

admiring the fields, trees, setting sun

and distant mountains.

No comments: