Monday, December 9, 2019

PAD 13-3 Persona


Carnival Glass Tea Cup

My first memory as a little carnival glass tea cup
was at a fair. I could hear the noises of the merry-go-round,
the men calling out to potential game players/money spenders,
and excited children laughing, and calling out to each other.

Being tiny I couldn’t see much of these things.
I sat by glasses and cups much bigger than me.
I could hear the clink of the coins as they hit their sides.
“Ouch that hurt! Don’t throw them so hard! Oh, that one tickled!”

Then I saw  him. The red headed kid about twelve years old.
He tossed a few nickels then bingo! it went inside me,
rolled around and it did tickle until it rested on the bottom.
I was snatched up and the boy they called Jim took me home.

I sat in a cozy home on the shelf for many years.
watching Jim’s large rowdy family. Then one day I turned up
at his daughter’s home.  I could tell she liked me a lot.
I sat on her favorites shelf for years watching her write.

But one day, sadly, she packed me up in a cardboard box.
Someone was moving in and she needed space.
So I sat for years in a dark crawl space until the flood came.
I thought I’d drown or freeze in the cold water but the flood abated.

I was put in a bag, in a big truck and hauled off to be sorted out
with thousands of other moldy items in large bags.
I’m now eighty-five years old and stashed away in a stinky mess.
I know she’s worried about me. Will she ever find me?

No comments: