Friday, January 1, 2021

PAD 21-1 Tell

 Tell Me a Story

 

Tell me a story of you and Linda

and the rest of your family.

This was a bedtime ritual

between my little daughter and me.

 

I’d tell her of the fun things we did,

 the mishaps and adventures

of my sisters, cousins and friends

growing up in a country valley.

 

Of riding bikes, hiking, sled riding,

climbing trees, jumping on pogo sticks,

rolling down hills in cardboard boxes

or in tractor tires. Playing croquet.

 

Of playing hide and seek, sardines,

The Man from Uncle, Gilligan’s Island,

spies, Spaceship, Batman, Statue,

Freeze tag, tornado warning in the creek.

 

Of the giant game board we made,

the flying ginny, The Sunflower club,

practicing the Cinderella play, the hayrides,

earning money from pop bottle deposits.

 

Storytelling was important and still is.

Maybe that's why we both became writers.

No comments: