Sunday, February 28, 2021

Poetic Blooming office

 

No Reason

 

An old story tells of a woman

who cut off the edges of her ham

because that’s what her mother did.

After years, she finally asked her mom why,

and she replied, “so it would fit into the pan.”

 

Sometimes the practice outlasts the reason

and so it is with my office.

I had to give up my office when we hosted

an adult with developmental disabilities

so my living room recliner became the substitute.

 

I have an end table on each side.

One holds my reading material

and a basket full of markers and paper,

because I like to doodle while

watching shows in the evening.

 

On the left is my laptop, when not on my lap,

my head phones, a back scratcher,

a timeline I’m working on, my cell phone

and a quilted leaf “mug rug” which holds a mug

of tea with cream and sugar and a glass of ice water.

 

And there’s the rolling ball thingy.

It looks like a green hard rubber cup

with an 8 ball, without the 8, inside.

It helps relieve the pain of carpal tunnel

while its coolness rolls around on my hand.

 

I no longer have host home and I have my office back.

I could clear off the miscellaneous from my desk

and leave the living room for relaxation.

Though the practice outlasted the reason,

as they say, “If it’s not broke, don’t fix it.”

No comments: