Sunday, September 6, 2026

Shade, Poetic Bloomings

 

Taking a Break in the Shade

 

I was hiking with Rebecca.

She told of when she heard a bear.

She demonstrated its deep growl.

This is how you know it is there.

 

A week had passed; we hiked again.

We walked along the river bed,

Taking photos and having laughs,

And there was nothing there to dread.

 

We walked a mile and a half in,

And then we started coming back.

We were walking toward the hot sun.

Of leafy shade, there was a lack.

 

At last, we saw a shady place,

At the base of the rocky cliff.

We had our drinks and talked a bit.

Our muscles were feeling quite stiff.

 

Then the unmistakable sound!

We heard the low growl in the air.

I jumped up and said, “Time to go!”

With no desire to meet a bear.

 

My friend laughed at my quick retreat.  

But this was more than just a hunch.

I’m sure I missed a good picture,

But beats being Mr. Bear's lunch.

No comments: