Friday, December 31, 2010

Big Tent Poetry prompt--list poem

Failed 2010 Resolutions

To read my Bible every day
To say my quiet time prevailed
To keep the promises I make
My New Year resolutions failed

To spend more time with friends
And to keep up with what’s emailed
Approach life with a lighter view
My New Year resolutions failed

Make new adventures every day
To organize and keep detailed
Take personal retreats and rest
My New Year resolutions failed

To at last put in a back yard
To often have fresh air inhaled
Eat right and exercise each day
My New Year resolutions failed

Get out acrylics and brushes
My writing time be uncurtailed
Sing more and read a book a week
My New Year resolutions failed

Make comments on others’ poems
New gadgets to all be availed
To keep up with the paperwork
My New Year resolutions failed

My resolution this New Year
(To not be inwardly impaled)
To make no more resolutions
My New Year resolution failed

8 comments:

Joyce Ellen Davis said...

Oh, me too, me too! Better luck for both of us in 2011! Enjoyed reading your poem.

Anonymous said...

I'll bet you did each of those a little bit! We all need to be easier on ourselves! Thanks for sharing this.

Anonymous said...

i try not to set new year's resolutions because, well, your poem describes what happens! however, i find it near impossible to not whisper to myself: "try to do this better, and this better, and this better."

:)

Anonymous said...

I'm with Carolee, I don't do resolutions and haven't for a long time. And for the same reasons you make so abundantly clear in your poem. We are such creatures of habit. Hope your New Year is full of good surprises,

Elizabeth

Anonymous said...

You probably did more than you think you did. As my Mom used to tell me--be gentle with yourself. Happy, blessed New Year. Victoria

Wayne Pitchko said...

nicely done and thanks for sharing....have a happy..healthy NY

Erin Davis said...

Love this! I am going to try to not impale myself on my own failed resolutions this year, too.

Linda H. said...

I love this one, Connie. See me smiling?
:-)