Wednesday, July 2, 2014

Day 2 PB camp Bop, exploring camp, Poetic Asides new place

At Girl Scout Camp

At Girl Scout camp, I explored our new place,
not leaky tents this time, but bunk-filled dorm rooms.
I chose the top of the last bunk in the corner
and unrolled my bed roll with essentials tucked inside.
I neatly arranged the items at the foot of my bed,
and hid my novel under my pillow

In free time, I sought a solitary place.

The clamor of girls giggling, chattering, singing
and leaders shouting orders and blasting whistles
seemed incongruous with whispering pines
gurgling creeks and chirping of birds and crickets.
A bridge over the creek harbored a nice cubby hole;
between games, working on badges, gathering wood,
singing silly songs, and munching on S’mores,
I’d hide away there with my book.

In free time, I sought a solitary place.

I enjoyed laughing and talking with my friends,
searching for tinder, kindling and fuelwood,
roasting hotdogs and marshmallows over the fire,
making sit-upons and singing songs like
Make New Friends, Camp Granada, Kumbaya,
and I Don’t Want No More of this Camping Life, but

in free time, I sought a solitary place.

No comments: