Monday, October 13, 2014

Poewar W'hat's your routine? Change it.


I usually write poetry in the morning, during the two hours my husband and I are getting our host home clients up and ready or sometimes before they’re both up. (I write fiction and devotions early morning and during the day when my clients are at day programming four days a week.) I use my laptop and sit in my recliner. Poetry sessions go from a few minutes to a half hour or so, unless I’m getting a poem ready for publication then the revision can go longer. I write a poem a day so I don’t wait until I get inspired. I usually write to prompts or if I don’t have a prompt I make my own: a photo, a wordle, or something on the internet. Often my poems come from my prayer life, something I experience or something that’s been on my mind. I edit a bit while I write the poem, usually I don’t try to perfect it unless I want to submit it for publication. 



Poeming on the Porch

I remember a time
living in a trailer on an acreage
when I thought going to jail
sounded inviting.
Someone cooking my meals.
Not having to take care of kids.
Having adults to talk to.

The crisp air bites my elbows.
Leaves have turned yellow already.
Some kind of bird chirps.
Cars rush by in the distance.
A little-more-than-half-moon waits to set.
Not much going on the neighborhood.
I miss living in the country.


No comments: