Tuesday, July 24, 2018

PA generations


Curiosity

Maybe it’s because we too often hear the adage, “Curiosity killed the cat,” that the average person suffers from a terrible lack of curiosity, when it comes to their lineage. How many of us know much about our ancestors past two or three generations?

Ancestors years past
I wonder about them now
Their loves, trials and dreams

In Scotland, I listened to the wistful tone of a bagpipe and remembered how my maternal grandfather loved to hear them. I watched a genuine shepherd command his dogs, each one eagerly waiting for his own signal.

To the whistle blast
The dog leaps into action
Joyful in purpose

I stood by the bonny, bonny banks of Loch Lomond as the song “You Take the High Road” describes and wondered if perhaps my great, great, great grandparents fell in love there. I could picture them, laughing, as they rowed their little wooden boat.

Echoes of the past
Ripple across gray waters
I smile for photo

In Ireland, my niece and I strolled along the River Shannon which bears my maiden name. The County Clare most likely nurtured my father’s side. Did they fish along the river? Did they hunt the green hills? Were they part of the many who dug the rocks out of stubborn soil and built those countless walls?

The River Shannon
Flowing along through the years
Withholding secrets

It’s odd to think that in a couple generations I will be forgotten. No one will know my joys, sorrows, quirks. They might have a vague idea they had a poet in the family.

My dad’s diary
I eagerly opened it
To find the weather

Let’s leave our loved ones stories so when curiosity catches up with them they’ll be satisfied.

They’ll read my journal
But what will they discover?
Daily to-do lists?

No comments: