Monday, December 17, 2018

PAD Challenge 12-1 disaster


Disaster

I grew up knowing about two Johnstown floods, 1889 & 1936.
since I lived fourteen miles northwest of it in New Florence.
When I was eighteen and while I was spending the summer
in Cheyenne Wyoming, the third one happened in 1977.

When I first heard about it on the radio, I pictured
a few loaves of bread floating around in store aisles,
but as the day progressed I realized it was much worse.
One of my cousins was on the missing list, (but later found).

A great uncle I barely knew was killed along with his girlfriend
and her daughter. A trailer court I used to visit was wiped out.
A total of 84 people lost their lives and hundreds lost their homes.
Johnstown never recovered: businesses and employees left for good.

I came back from Cheyenne and got a job at Johnstown McDonald’s.
The town was a depressed area and the job itself was depressing.
To make matters worse my three closest friends were unemployed:
due to the flood, a broken arm and being out of work for the winter.

I’d hang out with them and they’d talk about sleeping in while I
had to get up at five and work at McDonald’s. To me, it was a disaster.





No comments: