Sunday, December 5, 2021

Memory #2 Poetic Asides Challenge Nov 11

Mistaken Identity 

 

Thank You, Lord, 

for my dad serving in WWII

and coming home with a Purple Heart

 and a piece of shrapnel

 they took out of his head. 

 

Thank you for the way he lovingly

talked about his brother

who was killed in France.

Thank You, that I have

Uncle Bill’s Purple Heart. 

 

When Dad had Alzheimer's 

I was driving him home one dark night

and when he started

asking me strange questions,

I realized he thought I was Uncle Bill.

 

It was kind of creepy.

He’d cite some memories

of him and his brother

and asked, kind of shocked,

“Don’t you remember that?”

 

But it was a compliment

to be linked to his beloved brother. 

When I imagine Heaven

I picture being greeted

by Dad and Uncle Bill.


No comments: