Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Poetic Asides Prompt--Normal

My World

Interpreting sounds and gestures
Hearing my own voice calling me
from a communication device
Serving weird food combinations
like smashed spaghetti, mayo and onions
Chasing him around with a piece of toast
Listening to tunes from Elmo
or from a vacuum cleaner hose
Cutting food in bite size pieces
Brushing her teeth
while she’s patting my face
Him walking into the kitchen
with his pants around his knees
Maneuvering a wheel chair
through narrow doorways
While I’m writing, his head resting
on mine, drooling into my hair
My bumps, burns and mistakes
being a form of slapstick comedy
Feeling like a three-ring circus
when we do groceries
Being wonderfully welcomed
when I return from a trip
Doing what I want to do
in the in between times
Afraid that it will end
Afraid that it won’t
This is normal for me

No comments: