Sunday, December 11, 2011

Christmas Preparations

Christmas Preparations Then and Now

I used to get a real tree,
make decorations
and give some to shut-ins
when we caroled.  
I used to make presents,
wrap them in paper and bows
and send off packages
and hand written cards
to everyone in the family.
I used to prepare for and attend
parties, pageants and programs.
I used to bake a big batch
of monster cookies
and pass out plates
of them to friends.
I used to clean the house,
cook a huge turkey dinner
and invite people over.

Now, I have an artificial tree
and use the decorations we have.
Now, I stay home for the most part,
buy gift cards or a few presents
and poke them into Christmas bags.
Now, I type a Christmas letter
and email the ones I can.
Now, I only clean the house enough
to keep the health department away.
Now, for Christmas dinner,
I slow cook a turkey breast
and used canned,
frozen and instant
everything else
just for the immediate family.
Now, I keep it simple
so I can enjoy Christmas
instead of wearing myself out
and wishing it was over.

No comments: