Friday, March 7, 2014

WHA #1

A Call to Write

I’ve been writing thirty plus years.
When did I first get the call?
Or was it just a niggling desire.
Did it start with my love for reading?
Dad sitting me on his knee
reading in his monotone voice
about the woodpecker and the telephone pole?
Was it when Mom would allow me
to put Two Little Golden books
in the grocery cart each week?
Was it in fifth grade when I picked up paper
and pencil to write my first novel,
which sounded a lot like Trixie Belden.
Was it when I took my first writer’s course?
Attended my first writer’s conference?
Was it the first time I got an acceptance
for a fiction story?
When I published my first devotion?
When I got a regular monthly assignment
with a national ministry?
When I made the decision to self publish?
All that I know is I desire to worship
and serve Him in everything I do.
Writing is one of them.
I long for others to know His love
and I aim to explore that love
through poetry, devotions,
articles, fiction, and children’s writing.
So was it a call to write
 or was it just God accepting and using
what I offer to Him
with an outstretched hand?

No comments: