Sunday, September 21, 2014

Imprompt Image

The Path

As a child,
how many times
did I run barefoot
down our grassy hill
across the gravely road
through Pappap’s yard
between the ponds
across the stout bridge,
the tiny bridge
and the high, long bridge
over the stony creek
to my cousins’ house
in the woods?

So many times
that if I close my eyes
I can feel
moss and soft grasses,
tarry gravel,
rough wood
and the beaten path
under my feet.
I can hear
Canada Geese honking
bobwhite quails calling,
peep frogs peeping
and crickets singing.

I can smell
freshly mown grass,
blossoms on apple trees
air washed clean after the rain.
I can see
familiar houses of relatives
and neighbors, willows, oaks,
maples, apple trees and pines,
tiger lilies, clover
touch-me-nots.
I can taste
the plums, grapes, elderberries,
and Siberian crabapples.

I can recall
all the games we played,
trouble we’d get into,
adventures we lived through,
laughter, arguments,
songs, make believe,
through the seasons and
padding back and forth
between our houses
never thinking someday
it would all be
just memories imprinted
on our souls.







2 comments:

De Jackson said...

What a lovely memory, Connie. You took me there.

Jules said...

Then did we even understand the concept of what a memory was...

I enjoyed this visit down your memory lane. Thank you.