Tuesday, July 9, 2019

PAD 27-1 Directions


A Promise

In the cool of the evening, I walk
along the sidewalk towards the quiet north.
All the shops are closed, not many about.
The sky’s a mix of blue, white and gray clouds.

I’ve been inside all day with indoor things,
though it’s one of the first nice days this spring.
I promised myself I’d spend time outdoors.
In the cool of the evening, I walk.

As I pass budding and blossoming trees,
I make myself another spring promise.
I’ll visit my kids next April. I walk
along the sidewalk toward the quiet north.

Arizona when it’s not deathly hot,
and Colorado won’t give up snowing,
I’ll make my escape each year, I promise.
All the shops are closed, not many about.           

Firm in resolve, I head back to the house.
Not quite ready to go inside and write,
I sit on the porch breathing in fresh air.
The sky’s a mix of blue, white and gray clouds.


No comments: