Monday, January 13, 2020

PAD 25-1 meal


Meal Memories

In the sixties and seventies,
we seven sat around a table,
which took up most of our tiny kitchen.

Dad sat on the end, by the living room,
free to go relax when he was done eating.
On Thanksgiving, he always carved the turkey.
He’d joke that when he got up
in the middle of the night for a snack
and reach for a turkey leg
he’d get six forks in his hand.  

I sat to his left and was the one
who was close enough to the cupboards
and the door to the back porch.
I was the gopher. Go for this, go for that.
When a spoon was needed from the cupboard
or a jar of pickles from the basement,  
I was the one to get it.

Mom was too the left of me.
Looking back I think I had this position
so both Mom and Dad could help me
since I was the littlest until I was six,
when my little sister came along.
I always tilted my chair back.
Mom always warned me that I’d fall,
but I never did. Mom sat by the stove
so she could reach what was needed.

My little sister jammed between Mom
and my older sister because the table
was really only big enough for six.
She loved olives and put one on each finger.

My older sister was on the other end
 because she was the only lefty.
It kept her from bumping
the sisters on each side of her.

Then came my next sister up from me.
She liked to eat across an ear of corn
like a typewriter, dinging at the end.

My second oldest sister sat
between her and Dad.
We couldn’t say turkey skin
because it grossed her out.
No one would have guessed
she’d become a registered nurse.

We didn’t have napkins
but would pass around a towel
when someone would say, “Towel please.”
Looking back, I think that’s gross.

We talked around the table.
Dad would make his jokes.
He’d burp and Mom would say,
“What do you say Jim?”
trying to teach her five girls manners.
And he’d say, “Buuurrrrrp!”

Whether Thanksgiving or not
meals were fun and peaceful times.
We’d save our tiffs for later.  

No comments: