Monday, January 20, 2020

PAD 27-2 Remix


My White Skirt

When I was sixteen, Mom gave me
thirty dollars to buy a prom dress.
My boyfriend and I found
a cute cream floor-length skirt
and blue blouse of crinkly material
which came to sixty dollars.

He threw in the extra thirty.
I told Mom I had to spend
all the money she gave me,
not admitting the real cost.
I kept the skirt all these years
hoping someday it would fit again.

It had been out of sight and mind
when my daughter was that size.
Recently, my storage space flooded.
I pictured the skirt moldy and ruined.
I thought it would have been better
if I had given it away long ago.

But, to my surprise, I found the skirt
in great condition, perhaps
not good enough to  give away, though.
I’m shocked at how small the waist is
and don’t have high hopes to fit in it again.
So I’ll store it with some other keepsake clothes.

I told my daughter that if I get sick,
become skinny and die, she can bury me in it.
I no longer have the matching blouse.
Maybe my denim jacket I saved lunch money for
when I was fifteen would look cool.
I wouldn’t care what people thought,
since I’d be dead.

No comments: