Tuesday, March 3, 2020

Dream


Someone's Trying to Tell Me Something

I dreamed
I was lying face down on the floor
as if I’d just fallen there.
Paralyzed.

People tried to get me up,
but I kept thinking
about all the negative things
I tell myself.

You’re an idiot, a failure,
stupid, rude, awkward, shy,
thoughtless, insensitive,
ugly, fat, lazy, stingy, boring.
The list went on and on.

Those words slip in easily
when you think them one at a time,
but when you hear them all at once,
they sound ridiculous.

It stands to reason
that one person
who tries do what’s right
all their lives can’t be that bad.
Never do anything right?
Everyone has to do something right
some time, even if it’s by accident.

I started laughing
and got off the floor,
with a resolve
to speak to myself
more kindly.

No comments: