Saturday, March 28, 2020

PAD Countdown 24-1 persona


Butting Heads

She gets me out of a dark cupboard,
where others more useful than me stay.
She puts me in the center of the table
and puts in his thick-handled spoons.

He takes out the spoons and replaces me
with a cut off, used potato-chip can.
He casts me aside saying,
“Cups belong in the cupboard.”

She says, “But I want to see that cup.
It’s too small to hold my tea.”  
“I want it in the center of the table
holding your thick-handled spoons.”

I’m with her. I’m only half a cup.
I remember their daughter smiling,
saying, “I’ll buy this for Dad.
On my side, in colorful lettering reads,

“Grand Turk was so expensive
I could only afford half a cup. “
So Mom put me on a living room shelf,
and smiles, remembering warmer climates.

No comments: