Thursday, December 10, 2020

PAD 14-1 memory

 Yards

 

I grew up in a Pennsylvania country neighborhood

where yards weren’t just little squares like in town,

but acres to play ball, croquet, badminton, hide-n-seek.

 

Hills to slide on in the winter time, ponds to skate,

creeks to swim in, vines to swing on, trees to climb.

Who needed a little wooden and metal playground?

 

When we were out late or it was time for meals

the neighbors would hear their dad whistle.

My mom and aunts would just yell our names out the door.

 

After my parents passed I was taking care of things in the house

when I heard my aunt yelling from her house

which was across the road, at the foot of our large yard.

 

I went down to see what she was hollering about.

She said, “I’m glad the bellering system still works.”

No comments: