Monday, March 6, 2023

Forgetful Poetic Asides

 New Normal

 

Having a nightmare I wish I’d wake up from

Memory loss of my thirty-seven-year-old son

Phone calls, emails and texts all day long

And no one is able to tell us what’s wrong

He’s home now, new normal: Day One

 

His mind’s a bit clearer all the day through.

He remembers it’s January, he lost his job, too

He repeats himself and asks the same questions

He guides his day by his sister’s suggestions

One day at a time, new normal: Day Two

 

When he wakes up it’s not clear to see

He has to sort dreams from reality

Sis set an appointment for his doctor

She’s strong and not letting this rock her

Moving forward, new normal: Day Three

 

My son woke up Sunday morning with about three months of memory loss and spent the morning in ER. When the prompt was “forgetful” I couldn’t think of anything else to write about! My son and daughter are both single and live together in my daughter’s house about an eight-hours drive from me. We just had a foot of snow so we’re exchanging a lot of phone calls and texts, working through this. There’s no official diagnosis yet.

No comments: