Tuesday, October 17, 2023

The Blank Poetic Asides

 

The Avocado Pit I Planted

 

Periodically,  I attempt an avocado plant,

but have never succeeded.

And this poor guy

seemed to be no different,

soaking in a glass of water

with corn holders stuck in its side.

 

It finally rooted,

no greens out the top, though.

I stuck it in the dirt,

thinking of Jesus’s words,

“Unless the seed die...”

Nothing showed.

 

I devised plan B for its cute pot.

Then lo and behold!

The day I brought in its replacement

a gray stem stood a few inches.

When I came back from a Peru trip,

Leaves! And ten more inches.

 

I sat my avocado plant

by my writing chair

where I could see it every day.

I wonder at my own interest

and delight as each new leaf

forms and grows.

 

Why I am I so pleased

when I see this plant thrive?

It’s about two feet tall now,

with ten leaves,

some great big

one barely forming.

 

It’s gratifying to see

something I did thrive.

Now, I’m watching

for some growth

in all of my projects.

Maybe, just maybe,

those seemingly dead ones

will surprise me.

No comments: