Tuesday, January 2, 2024

Setting PAD 22-2

 The Little Me

 

My sister has a painting

of children in old fashioned garb:

the girls in long dresses

and the boys in ruffles and knickers.

They’re walking down a road

toward a gate, accompanied by a collie.

The focal point is a little girl and boy,

about seven or eight years old.

They’re walking together, holding hands.

His attention is on her. She’s smiling.  

I always liked that painting.

The little girl looks like me as a child.

 

In Northern Ireland, the owner

of Kelly Moon Castle gave us a tour.

We oohed and aahed at the refurbished rooms

filled with fancy furnishings, beautiful staircases,

myriads of statues, antiques and paintings.

Imagine our surprise when a painting, the same

as my sister’s, hung on one of the walls.

We took pictures of what my sister called,

“The little you.” It made me feel special,

like I was the little girl in the picture,

with Someone I loved smiling at me.   

 

No comments: