Thursday, November 8, 2018

Poetic Blooming Clothes


My Pumpkin Dress

On my fifth birthday, a few days before Halloween, Mom made me a black and orange dress. I called it my pumpkin dress. I loved that dress and even wore it in the spring to my sister’s ninth birthday party. After she opened her presents, Mom had a surprise for her. The town firetruck came to give the partiers a ride. My cousin, about the same age, and I weren’t brave enough to ride the firetruck, so we stayed behind. Before they left, Mom took a picture of my cousin and I standing beside the firetruck packed with excited kids. That picture, later in life, inspired many adventures: spelunking, rock climbing, hot air balloon riding, zip-lining, white-water river rafting, because I didn’t want to be left behind, like I was in my pumpkin dress.

Two shy five-year-olds
Me in homemade pumpkin dress
Missed firetruck ride

No comments: