Thursday, November 1, 2018

Poetic Bloomings comfort food


Mom’s Chicken Noodle Soup

On chilly autumn days,
when we felt under the weather,
Mom would make us chicken noodle soup,
not just any chicken noodle soup.

She’d start with Wyler’s chicken noodle,
the instant packaged kind.
But the tiny Wyler’s noodles
wouldn’t fill a bird’s belly.

She mixed it in with macaroni,
which made it more filling.
The two different textures
did something magical.

I like to think Mom’s noodles
prevented many doctor visits.
I always felt better after eating
this yummy meal.

Funny thing is, I don’t remember
ever making them as an adult
or even giving them to my kids
when they were sick.

By then, I found frozen
homemade-style noodles,
but so rich, more often or not,
they gave me a headache.

So now in my retirement  years,
it might be a good time
to get out mom’s special recipe
of Wyler’s noodles and macaroni.

No comments: