Thursday, June 28, 2018

PAD 30 the ending of something



The Boom

That Wednesday night when you went off to church
and you boomed bye in your big voice
I didn’t know that it would be the last time I heard it.
I still have you here now and for that I am grateful.

But I miss the voice that complete strangers
would come up to you at church
and say how they enjoyed hearing you sing,
and the blind lady would sit near you so she could hear it.

I miss the voice I deemed the best
in all the world, next to Neil Diamond’s.
I miss having to hush you
for fear of waking up the household.

I miss how hearing your voice
made me feel when I picked you out of the crowd
or when I knew where you were when I walked into a building
or in the middle of the night when you said my name.

Now, you take a breath
for each phrase
so I can hear your whisper.

I miss the boom.

No comments: