Sunday, January 23, 2022

Remix #3 Poetic Asides Challenge Nov 27

 Mistaken Identity 

 

Thank You for Veterans Day,

to honor our living veterans

who served or are serving

in the armed forces.

 

Please bless them!

May the freedom they fight for

not be taken away by the pen

of misguided politicians. 

 

May our freedom

never become a distant memory.

 

Thank You, Lord, 

for my dad surviving WWII

and coming home with a Purple Heart

and a piece of shrapnel

they took out of his head. 

 

Thank you for the way he lovingly

talked about his brother

who was killed in France.

Thank You, that I have

Uncle Bill’s Purple Heart. 

 

When Dad had Alzheimer's 

I was driving him home one dark night

and when he started

asking me strange questions,

I realized he thought I was Uncle Bill.

 

It was kind of creepy.

He’d cite some memories

of him and his brother

and asked, kind of shocked,

“Don’t you remember that?”

 

But it was a compliment

to be linked to his beloved brother. 

When I imagine Heaven

I picture being greeted

by Dad and Uncle Bill.

No comments: