Sunday, July 30, 2023

Trip 30

 May 30, 2023

 

We knew

this day would come too soon

and it did.

Got up early, got ready,

caught the shuttle to the Dublin airport.

 

Fumbled around until we found

what terminal to go to.

She to one and me to two.

It’s been real. It’s been fun.

It’s been real fun.

See you in August.

 

My longest jaunt through security.

“Liquids must fit in this bag.”

My “TSA-approved bag,” a bit too big.

Discarded shampoo and toothpaste.

Went through the line.

“What else is in your laptop case?”

Forgot to pull out kindle.

It had to go through the line again.

“Do you have liquid in your carry on?”

He opened my case and my makeup bag

to find foundation I had also forgotten.

Thankfully, no dirty underwear fell out.

Laptops in other line, retrieved it.

I was glad I wasn’t in a hurry.

 

I still had plenty of time.

Had a snack.

Did morning devotions.

Thanked God for a wonderful trip.

Took me a while to find the gate.

It wasn’t posted clearly

and they moved it from what I was told.

Jet West doesn’t text notices like United does.

 

Took off at 1 PM

Sat by an elderly couple.

But realized they were about my age.

I had an aisle seat,

so when I went to the bathroom

they went too.

I waited for them,

so they could be seated first.

Watched four movies.

Arrived in Calgary.

 

Chatted with a lady

as if we were old friends.

She traveled a lot.

She said she had a son

and a non-binary child.

I swallowed what I was thinking.

I told her my two were also a bit different,

both single in their 30s and 40s,

sharing a house.

 

Slept almost the whole way

from Calgary to Phoenix.

When we landed,

the woman sitting next to me

asked me if I had a good sleep.

I told her I came from Dublin

and to me it was the wee AM.

We chatted amiably till time to get off.

 

Lori picked me up,

a little ticked that I took longer

than she expected

since I sent my carryon through

and had to go to baggage claim.

But she relaxed after a bit.

At her house, greeted by a happy husband.

No comments: