Thursday, November 11, 2021

As Blank #2 Poetic Asides Challenge Nov 3

As I Eat Oatmeal 

 

As I eat oatmeal

savoring the warm, soft texture

as well as the strawberry smell and flavor,

I thank God for simple things like oatmeal.

 The autistic man who occasionally

looks me in the eye and pats my face.

My stroke-survivor husband

who patiently waits for me

to tend to my charge

before I give him my attention.

The paper and pen I use to write with

and cell phone to check poetry prompts

while my computer is being fixed.

 The chickens, rabbits, fish, cats and dogs

I'm taking care of while my friend is gone.

A hot cup of tea with cream and sugar.

 Alone times on chilly mornings 

to listen to God’s still, small voice

that causes me to appreciate

a simple bowl of oatmeal.


No comments: