Monday, November 22, 2021

Health #1 Poetic Asides Challenge Nov 7

 Sweet Potato Pie 

 

November 7th, we had sweet potato pie.

It may be unhealthy, but like most people,

we celebrate with food. We celebrated four years

after my husband had his second stroke.

 

They affected the pons region of the brain

in the upper part of the brain stem.

The doctor said he had a 20% chance of survival

but didn’t tell us until after he had survived.

 

Thank You Lord for the four years and counting

and that he can walk with a walker,

bathe himself in the walk-in tub,

and talk, though still somewhat garbled.

 

I miss his clear, booming voice,

but I'm getting used to his gravelly one.

 I still jump when I hear his sneezes,

which sound like a snarling bobcat.

 

Thank You that he can think, but more slowly.

I love it when he stands and hugs me,

though I have to prop him up a bit.

Thank You for the gift of four years.

 

And sweet potato pie.

No comments: