Sunday, November 21, 2021

Location #3 Poetic Asides Challenge Nov 6

My Office

 

Thank You, Lord for my office.

decorated with momentous of the past. 

A picture of my mom when she was eight

along with her five siblings.

Picture of my daughter (5) and son (3).

She's wearing a blue and purple plaid dress.

I can see my mom's chin and brown eyes.

He's wearing a striped blue suit.

Resembles both his grandpas.  

 

Thank you for my 3 desks

One for writing with shelves of writing books,

One for art.

One for jigsaw puzzles

that currently has a 2,000 piece

farm quilt puzzle on it.

There’s also a cupboard filled with art supplies,

as is the drawers in the jigsaw table.

 

My closet holds my two ukuleles,

 a small soprano and a pineapple concert.

The top shelf is full of jigsaw puzzles.

There’s a file cabinet and a cubby hole box

which holds the shelf I made in high school woodshop

which contain more mementos:

 

Little golden books from when the kids were little

and a set of literature books saved

 from my fairly recent college graduation.

My dad's old cup he won when he was twelve.

The Snoopy Statue my sister gave me

 that says, “It’s not where you go,

it’s who you travel with.”

We have traveled many places together,

including Scotland and Ireland.

 

A shelf on the wall contains memorabilia

from the people who used to live with us.

A hat from Lacy

A Pooh Boo Bear from Dennis

Mermaid slippers from Vanessa.

 And a squishy frog from Justin.

 

Elsewhere in the room

Lori’s dolls and stuffed animals,

Eli’s batman car and dinosaur

My lava lamp from the 70s. 

Horsie Sam the rocking horse

and Waggles the green dog

from when I was about 3.

Dad’s fishing stool

on which I painted Mom and Dad

fishing from a rowboat in Stumpy Lake.

Blacky and Reddy,

two taxidermized squirrels my dad hunted.

 

Thank you for the pictures Mom painted

hanging over my puzzle table.

One of my childhood home

One of Dad’s childhood home

And one of Canada geese mom painted

for Pappap when I was two.

Not sure how she found time

with daughters  2, 5, 8 and 11.

 

There is also a picture of Jesus

praying in the garden

with sleepy disciples in the background

which hung in my home for years.

I didn’t know Him then,

only in the way my parents lived their lives.

Thank You, Lord, that I know You now.

 

I could write a book about

the literally hundreds of items in my office,

but this will have to do.


No comments: